The #SocialMediaShow is aimed at people who work with or who are interested in social media. If that’s you, and you want to keep up on the latest news throughout the week plus get access to insider tips, then check out Social Media Professionals.
Watch the video above to learn more about these 21 social media news items from the past week, which are summarised below, and to enjoy the regular features.
1. Notifications ordered via relevance rather than chronological in latest US app update. In process of being rolled out in UK.
2. Users will shortly be able to mute Notifications permanently or for certain time periods.
3. A min-preview of Live video within Notifications now plays on latest US app update. Coming to UK soon.
4. You can now find WiFi hotspots with Facebook from local businesses such as restaurants. Go to More tab then Find WiFi. The data is obtained from businesses that have added WiFi info to their Facebook Page. If you’re a venue based business have you added your WiFi details?
5. As reported 2 weeks ago, Facebook have added text (from About section) and a button on Facebook Page cover photos. They’ve confirmed this is being rolled out to more users.
6. Last week I reported that Facebook are to prevent users from sharing large numbers of posts. This week low quality links only posts are being targeted by Facebook’s algorithm.
7. Facebook is going to build a village of 1500 apartments complete with grocery, pharmacy, shops and office space at its Menlo Park location called Willow Campus.
8. Facebook are deleting 66000 hateful post each week.
9. A Jayden K Smith hoax message is doing the rounds so don’t forward this on if you receive it.
Facebook Live news
10. Rumour has it that Facebook is developing a stand alone group chat video along the lines of Google Hangouts. It’s project name is Bonfire.
Facebook Ads news
11. Overlays are now available on videos used in ads e.g. A price of an product being videoed can overlayed on the top corner.
12. There’s a new audience and metric available for Facebook advertisers – household members. US only at the moment.
13. As reported last week, if you move mouse cursor on certain Pages the Message box pops up on desktop. Facebook have confirmed they are testing this new feature, which is great for those providing customer services or selling via Facebook.
14. Facebook have published a directory of Platform Development Providers for Messenger. FYI I use Chatfuel.
15. Facebook is to provide recommendations of which features to include in Messenger, presumably via Messenger 🙂
16. You can now reply to Instagram Stories with photos and videos using the Send Message button underneath a Story. Previously it was only possible to reply with text.
17. Instagram is now blocking fake engagement apps like Instagress.
18. Facebook is using AI (Artificial Intelligent) filters to reduce offensive and spammy comments.
19. Good news for those of us with multiple current positions. You can now reorder these on your LinkedIn Profile with drag and drop.
20. Twitter is testing a prototype of a fake news button.
21. Pinterest announced that it now hosts 100 billion ideas (pins) on Pinterest.
Social media workshops, one-to-one training plus e-learning
Questions? Need help with social media?
For more information about how we can help with your social media efforts including other training options please call me, Jonathan, on 029 2078 9139. Alternatively you can email, tweet or choose an alternative option from my Contact page.