If you haven’t got it already, you’ll soon be seeing a sleek new search bar at the top of Facebook. You’ll be able to find everything more easily than before. So easy in fact, that you will probably end up using the new search a lot more than you do now. For example, you’ll be able to search, “Cheltenham restaurants my friends go to”. From a business point of view there are plenty of benefits as explained in How your business can benefit from Graph Search.
1) Set up a Facebook Page – A combination of Graph Search and increased use of mobile phones and tablets makes it even more important for your business to have a Facebook Page. If you’re not on Facebook you’re not going to be found in the Search. If you’re a bricks and mortar business you’re not going to be found when people are searching for a restaurant, shop, pub etc when they’re out and about. It’s also worth noting that your Page will also appear in Google and Bing search results. Facebook also uses Bing search to provide additional information in its Facebook search results and will continue to do so.
2) Add your business address and phone number – Make sure your postal address is complete and up to date – go to Edit Page/Update Info/Basic Information then Address. This is particularly important if you have a bricks and mortar business as people will be able to find you when out and about plus they’ll be able to ‘check in’. This helps spread the word about your venue and will help you show up in search results. You should also add your Phone number on this page.
3) Include key words and URLs in description fields – On the Basic Information page you should also include keywords relating to your business that will help Graph Search and other search engines find your Page. Web addresses become hyperlinks in the sections on this page so take advantage and add them. Adding a hyperlinks to your website can help it rank higher in search engine results and it will also encourage visitors to visit your web site.
4) Create your own Facebook Page URL – To help people find you and to create an easy to remember web address you should have a custom URL that includes your business name. For example, facebook.com/intranetfuture. Watch this video on How to set your own Facebook Page address.
5) Encourage interaction – Last but not least a tip from Facebook on how to be found on Graph Search. Because the new search will be influenced by ‘social factors’ eg Likes, Comments and Shares it’s more important than ever to encourage interaction, particularly sharing. This means adding content such as posts, photos and videos that your fans will want to share. Make your content timely, interesting and valuable. Read 5 ways to encourage interaction on Facebook and 5 tips to get more shares on Facebook.
If you need help with setting up or improving your Facebook Page for business give me a call on 01242 639023 to discuss consultancy. Sessions in Cheltenham, at your office or online can be as little as one hour.