With Facebook’s IPO (Initial Public Offering) looming on the horizon here are some facts, stats and speculation. We know that Facebook will join the NASDAQ this month and the most likely date is 17 May although 14 May has also been suggested.
- This will be the largest internet IPO to date; larger than Google’s in 2004. Google raised less than $2 billion whereas Facebook are looking to raise around $5 billion which values the company as a whole at a staggering $100 billion. Not bad for a website started by students 8 years ago.
- There are now 901 million active users on Facebook up from 845 million reported on 31 December 2011.
- 500 million of those 901 active users access Facebook via mobile.
- Facebook now generates 45% more revenue than it did a year ago (mainly from selling advertising) amounting to $1,058 billion.
- The first quarter of 2012 showed a 6% decline on revenue compared with the last quarter of 2011.
There will certainly be plenty of hype and media coverage of the IPO which can only benefit Facebook and give a further boost to sign ups. There’s little doubt that total active users will exceed $1 billion by the end of July. Amazing.
To learn how to use Facebook for marketing check out my next Facebook Masterclass on Wednesday 17 June and find out more about our Facebook marketing services.