Here’s the replay of Monday 8 January’s The #SocialMediaShow which was broadcast live via my Facebook Profile from Cardiff, Wales. In this first show of the year there’s plenty of news from the Christmas holidays plus 2 new parts to the show – Word Of The Week and WhatsApp News. Plus as usual there’s Headline, Question Time, Tools Talk plus Tip Of The Week and Number of the Week.
The #SocialMediaShow is aimed at people who work on a daily basis with or who are interested in social media and the aim is to increase your knowledge and improve your use of social media. If that sounds like you and you want to keep up on the latest news throughout the week plus get access to insider tips, then join my newsletter subscribers or Facebook Messenger subscribers.
The show notes below contain relevant links mentioned in The #SocialMediaShow.
Headline: 2018 could be the year Facebook banishes news from its feed – Digiday UK – read more about this Headline that caught my eye.
Question Time: What will be big in 2018? a) Live video b) One-to-one comms c) Social shopping – please post your answer in the Comments below.
Tools Talk: LinkedIn Archive Tool – download your LinkedIn data.
Tip Of The Week: Want a better experience on Facebook? Set your News Feed Preferences – go to ‘down arrow’ on top menu.
Number of the Week: 123 minutes – the amount of time South Koreans will spend every day on a smartphone in 2018 according to eMarketer.
Word of the Week: Retargeting (or remarketing) – Retargeting,is a form of online advertising on websites and social networks helps keep businesses in front of potential customers after they
left your website.
1) Mark Zuckerberg says his ‘personal challenge’ for 2018 is to fix Facebook by banishing fake news and tackling abuse.
2) Yesterday Facebook Live Streamed the Red Carpet Show from Golden Globes. Twitter held the rights last year.
3) Video algorithm change – Videos that are regularly watched and searched for will start to surface more prominently in News Feeds.
4) Deal with Universal Music – Under a partnership with Universal Music, Facebook users will be able to upload videos that contain licensed music and personalize their music experiences on Facebook, Instagram and Oculus, while sharing videos with friends and family. In future, functionality will expand to enable access to a vast library of music across a series of social features.
5) New facial recognition technology – these new features help users find photos that you’re not tagged in and help you detect when others might be attempting to use your image as their profile picture.
6) No more Disputed Flags to identify false news. Instead Facebook will use Related Articles for context
7) New Page invites – Facebook are now publishing invites to Pages on the News feed and they can also be sent via Messenger. The message reads, “Hi, I’m inviting you to like my Page because I thought you might be interested in supporting it. You’ll receive updates on what’s new, and you can interact with other people on this Page.”
8) Facebook is testing privacy settings on Comments beneath posts in profiles.
9) Facebook Stories are now in some Groups and being also being seen on some Pages.
10) Facebook is testing a new grid view for profiles
11) Reminder that as of 18 December 2017 customisation of links has stopped so you now need to verify your domain to be able to edit posted links from your website – find out how to verify domain.
To learn more about Facebook, attend this workshop below:
FACEBOOK MESSENGER NEWS
12. Netatmo’s Smart Home Bot – you can now control your home with Facebook. Using a Messenger Smart Bot and appropriate equipment from Netatmo you can control temperature in rooms, lock doors and switch on lights.
13. Instagram has rolled out hashtag follows. You can now follow hashtags as well as people and businesses.
14, You will soon start to see shared posts that your friends have liked in your feed.
15. Currently only available in Ads, Instagram is testing a ‘Shop Now’ button for business profiles.
16. Recommends posts are coming soon to your Instagram feed.
17. Taking a leaf out of LinkedIn’s book, Instagram users will soon be able to hide individual notifications in the app.
If you’re interested in learning more about Instagram, please check out the workshops below:
NEW SECTION! – WHATSAPP NEWS
18. Facebook stickers are coming soon to WhatsApp.
19. Advertise on Facebook to direct messages to WhatsApp – A new Click-to-WhatsApp ad unit will sit inside ads on Facebook, and appear as a Send Message button.
20. Instagram is testing the ability for users to post Stories directly to WhatsApp.
21. Top 5 Publishing Tips From The 2017 LinkedIn Top Voices have been posted: view here
22. UK top LinkedIn influencers list published – No 1 is Richard Branson – full list here
23. LinkedIn widgets are now available for iOS and Android.
New to LinkedIn? Attend the January workshop below. Been to a previous workshop? Attend the February ‘follow-up’.
24. Support hours and display note that you certain users can provide customer support are being removed this month.
SOCIAL ADVERTISING NEWS
25. On Facebook there’s a new custom audience. You can now target people who have spent more time than usual looking at your ads – Dwell time.
26. New ‘ongoing promotions’ ads – these new easy to setup ads can be used for purchase, website visits, local awareness and customer contacts.
Facebook ‘take a break’ tool let’s you erase your ex! – more here.
For an introduction to social media, attend this workshop:
Questions? Need help with social media?
For more information about how we can help with your social media efforts including other social media training options please call me, Jonathan, on 029 2078 9139. Alternatively you can email, tweet or try my robot Artificially Intelligent assistant Henry using the button at the bottom right of your screen.