Here’s the replay of Monday 15 January’s The #SocialMediaShow which was broadcast live via my Facebook Profile from Cardiff. I discuss Mark Zuckerberg’s announcement of a ‘major change’ to the Facebook News Feed plus as usual there’s the week’s social media news plus Headline, Question Time, Tools Talk,Tip Of The Week, Number of the Week and Word of the Week…phew! Oh, there was also a power cut just before I get into the week’s news so apologies for that.
The #SocialMediaShow is aimed at people who work on a daily basis with or who are interested in social media and the aim is to increase knowledge and improve use of social media. If that sounds like you and you want to keep up on the latest news throughout the week plus get access to insider tips, then join my newsletter subscribers or Facebook Messenger subscribers.
The show notes below contain relevant links mentioned in The #SocialMediaShow.
Headline: FACEBOOK TO ROLL OUT DRASTIC NEWS FEED CHANGES ALTERING WHAT EVERY USER SEES – Read The Independent’s take on Mark Zuckerberg’s Facebook post.
Question Time: Will you be spending less or more time on Facebook in 2018?
Tools Talk: Unsplash.com – photo library with some great quality free images.
Tip Of The Week: Create or update your Google My Business listing then add video (once available) – see Chris Attwood-Thomas for more info.
Number of the Week: £6.7bn – Instagram predicts UK firms will bank an annual £6.7bn through its app by 2022.
Word of the Week: #glassandahalf – Cadbury’s #glassandahalf sponsored trend campaign on Twitter backfired spectacularly last week. 100% of the comments I saw were critical of the brand.
1) Mark Zuckerberg announced a ‘major change’ to the News Feed. Here’s the main bit from his Facebook post, “As we roll this out, you’ll see less public content like posts from businesses, brands, and media. And the public content you see more will be held to the same standard — it should encourage meaningful interactions between people.”
Below are 10 tactics you can employ to reach your potential and existing customers following this major change:
i) Publish and share content that leads to discussion, conversation and engagement.
ii) Publish and share content that provides EXTREME value to your audience.
iii) Share posts to Personal Profile and encourage others to do the same (BUT NOT IN POSTS).
iv) Encourage users to Select ‘See First’ on Pages – click the Following button then See First.
v) Use Personal Profile to promote your business. Create a List of those interested in your business.
vi) Make more use of Facebook Groups – create a community of fans around your business.
vii) Measure more – use Facebook Insights and the Facebook Pixel to obtain a greater understanding of your Facebook activity.
viii) Use Facebook Live video – Live video will appear more often in the News Feed than any other type of posts.
ix) Optimise your Facebook Page – make it a destination that people want to visit.
x) Start to use or make greater use of Facebook Ads – Target using custom audiences and measure your conversions with the Facebook Pixel.
BONUS tip: Don’t just rely on Facebook – use other social networks plus now would be a good time to review your email marketing and your website.
2) Facebook’s Virtual Reality (VR) headset Oculus Rift is now on sale in John Lewis for £399.95 and Currys for £399.99.
3) Facebook’s is testing a local news and events section called ‘Today In’.
4) Facebook now allow users to override auto-generated alt-text for images uploaded to the site – alt-text tags (labels that describe photos) have been autogerated for the visually impaired since 2016.
5) Facebook and Sony/ATV Music Publishing announced a multi-year licensing deal that lets people upload and share video from artists like Ed Sheeran, Kanye West and Taylor Swift on Facebook, Instagram, and the Oculus Rift platform. This follows on from Universal Music music deal I reported on last week’s #SocialMediaShow.
6) Facebook is expected to launch a new video chat hardware device named Portal in May 2018. It will be in competition with Amazon’s line of Echo voice-controlled devices and Google Home devices.
FACEBOOK MESSENGER NEWS
7) Facebook is shutting down their Personal Assistant ‘M’ but some aspects of the service will continue to power M suggestions. For example, fully automated suggestions for payments, making plans, and prompts for sending stickers through Messenger.
My Facebook workshop next month will cover all the above and more – Facebook Masterclass (Gloucester) – 22 February 2018
8) Users can now privately send live videos over direct messaging.
9) Instagram now allows broadcasters to tag other people and pages in their Stories.
10) Instagram is now showing popular hashtags as you scroll down your feed,
I have 2 Instagram Workshops coming up – How to grow your business with Instagram with Kat Shayler (Cheltenham) – 15 February 2018 plus How to create your Instagram persona with Jonathan Pollinger and Peter Morgan (Cardiff) – 6 March 2018
11) WhatsApp is testing switching to video once within a voice call.
12) WhatsApp is testing new ‘Dismiss As Admin’ function in Group chats.
13) A potential security flaw in WhatsApp was discovered last week allowing hackers to enter group conversations.
14) Some users of WhatsApp in India experienced a message displaying that there app is ‘obsolete’ but it turned out this was a bug.
15) LinkedIn have announced that they are bringing Groups into the main feed and adding new features like uploading videos. However, the stand alone Groups app on iOS will go.
New to LinkedIn? Attend my January workshop with Louise Jenner – How to grow your business with LinkedIn with Jonathan Pollinger and Louise Jenner (Gloucester) – 30 January 2018. Been to a previous workshop? Attend the February ‘follow-up’ – LinkedIn ‘Follow-up’ Workshop with Jonathan Pollinger and Louise Jenner (Gloucester) – 27 February 2018
16) Twitter is testing a follow-back button.
This week’s story illustrates the power of social media and comes in the form of a Twitter Moment entitled – “Mom-and-pop bakery becomes a phenomenon thanks to their daughter“.
The only upcoming social media course I haven’t mentioned is Social Media Essentials with Jonathan Pollinger (Gloucester) – 6 February 2018. Join me for an overview of the latest social media trends and how to upskill your social media.
Questions? Need help with social media?
For more information about how we can help with your social media efforts including other social media training options please call me, Jonathan, on 029 2078 9139. Alternatively you can email, tweet or try my robot Artificially Intelligent assistant Henry using the button at the bottom right of your screen.